About Me

My photo
Last year I turned the big 3.0 and got married - I thought that was my milestone year. As it turns out, 2009 quickly overshadowed 2008 when my husband and I found out we were pregnant. I'm going to be experiencing everything for the first time as a woman and an expectant mother which is why I'm calling this my year of firsts. I'm senior editor for Marie Claire South Africa.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

I no longer have a waist











































It's official. I no longer have a waist. My only pride and joy - flat tummy and narrow waist have all but disappeared. I now have the body of a man - like Tumisho Masha before he was allegedly asked to lose all that weight for Top Billing. Picture Tumisho with boobs! I didn't see it happening - I was too busy focusing on my jeans, and the fact that I could zip them up. But this morning as I was getting dressed to attend a breakfast presentation called 'Species: A User's Guide to Young Men', I pulled out my favourite jeans and yep, the zip went up - with slight resistance. I smiled and did a twirl only to discover at about 90 degrees that I had developed the so-called dreaded muffin tin. Whhhhhhaaaaattttttttt!

It's the same overnight switch that comes on when you enter the 2nd trimester and you suddenly don't feel nauseous any more. Overnight, I had lost my waist. Is this the price you pay for not having morning sickness? A fair exchange I suppose. 

Time to pull out those maternity clothes my husband had sweetly surprised me with the weekend before - to apologise for being a git of course. Why else? Ladies, I've looked everywhere in Johannesburg! Maternity clothes (for when you actually have a stomach) are U.G.L.Y! Have you seen those jeans? What kind of fabric is that cos it certainly ain't denim! *shudder* Just because you're pregnant doesn't mean you suddenly lose all sense of fashion? And of course, you don't want to spend a fortune on clothes you'll only wear for a season (optimistic thinking here people)... So I've decided to have mine made - have a look at some of the designs I've stolen from international designer websites (where else?) and am having made... 
See... you can also wear them post pregnancy. Only bummer is the waiting...

2 comments:

  1. you aren't looking in the right places. Infact, I'd go as far as saying normal clothes these days are cut for pregnant people. Especially dresses and tops. You might struggle with the pants a little, but you just need to shop more and you'll find your gems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where should I be looking heartwarmer? Yeah, dresses and tops are easy... I have a lot of those I can still wear - it's the skirts, dresses and pants that I need... but I'm done with looking. Too much effort. I know how I want to look and it's going to be cheaper this way... Only thing I'm missing is the instant gratification.

    ReplyDelete