About Me

My photo
Last year I turned the big 3.0 and got married - I thought that was my milestone year. As it turns out, 2009 quickly overshadowed 2008 when my husband and I found out we were pregnant. I'm going to be experiencing everything for the first time as a woman and an expectant mother which is why I'm calling this my year of firsts. I'm senior editor for Marie Claire South Africa.

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Brands

I've never been particularly brand conscious but I know quality when I see it. Or maybe conscious is the wrong word. I am in the publishing industry and come into contact with fashion and beauty brands and it's difficult to not want to own the best... I love nice things I won't lie - but I'm certainly not going to spend thousands on a Gucci or Louis Vuitton just because of the name. I might seriously consider putting money away for a Chloe bag - they are beautiful and although also a major brand, you can see the excellent craftsmanship and the fact that the bag are seasonless. I generally try and avoid trendy brands.
Becoming a mommy and making the choice for your little one is test of how important brands really are. Of course you want the best for your baby but you also don't want to be suckered into buying something out of guilt or worse. Safety, practicality, cost, durability and of course high cute quota are my top five criteria in choosing brands in strollers, bottles, cots, car seats...

So I'm wondering - Nuk, Avent or Dr Brown's; Peg Pereggo, Graco or Phil & Ted's; Johnsons, Elizabeth Anne's or organic... 

Or maybe it doesn't really matter. And it's just a question of taste. And of course - price!

No comments:

Post a Comment