About Me

My photo
Last year I turned the big 3.0 and got married - I thought that was my milestone year. As it turns out, 2009 quickly overshadowed 2008 when my husband and I found out we were pregnant. I'm going to be experiencing everything for the first time as a woman and an expectant mother which is why I'm calling this my year of firsts. I'm senior editor for Marie Claire South Africa.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Free pass

Standing in the queue to cast my vote yesterday, I was approached by an IEC official who asked me under her breath while glancing furtively at my now protruding stomach, 'Uyagula?'. Huh? I was confused and so were Hein and Jurie who were trying to lean in and listen into the conversation. After I sensed what her agenda was and laughed saying, 'No I'm not sick, I'm just pregnant.' Shame. The poor lady obviously didn't want to assume I was pregnant. Much less offensive to enquire after my health...
She offered to whisk me to the front of the queue but then I looked around at my voting partners and thought I couldn't leave them behind. Anyway, I'd have to wait for Hein as were in the same car. We weren't even halfway there yet... When I asked the lady whether I could take my plus-two along, she said no and offered me a chair instead. Hayibo! I'm not sick - just pregnant!
And for that we waited an hour and a half to mark our Xs. And it was worth the wait to feel part of something, especially if a change is going to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment