About Me

My photo
Last year I turned the big 3.0 and got married - I thought that was my milestone year. As it turns out, 2009 quickly overshadowed 2008 when my husband and I found out we were pregnant. I'm going to be experiencing everything for the first time as a woman and an expectant mother which is why I'm calling this my year of firsts. I'm senior editor for Marie Claire South Africa.

Monday, May 18, 2009

Eureka!

We finally found a hospital and are extremely satisfied with it. A few mothers had told me about Linkwood Clinic and there I was imagining it was on the way to the airport - on that boring, slow highway... 
Instead, it's tucked away just on the other side of Orange Grove and shares a large parking lot with Linksfield Hopsital. You just go down 11th, which becomes Ivy and then Louis, turn left on Louis Botha and then right on the very next road. Drive all the way and at the end of that road is the hospital. Now if we get the house we want, we'll be even closer...

The nurses and even the security were super friendly and the atmosphere there is so peaceful - not like the mad rush at Parklane! Each mom gets her own room (there are only 8) and a bed for her partner, and a basket in between mom and dad for the little one. You give birth in your room and each room has a bath if you want to go the water birth option. That idea has piqued again now that I've seen the facilities. The bath looks like a jacuzzi bath in your own home essentially. If I don't go this route, I'll definitely be making use of it!

Also, we've decided on a midwife - finding a new OBGyn at this point is going to be an expensive and frustrating so we have our first appointment with Xoli in two weeks' time. I'll tell you all about it when it happens!

What a relief! And I'm actually looking forward to the birth now...

No comments:

Post a Comment