About Me

My photo
Last year I turned the big 3.0 and got married - I thought that was my milestone year. As it turns out, 2009 quickly overshadowed 2008 when my husband and I found out we were pregnant. I'm going to be experiencing everything for the first time as a woman and an expectant mother which is why I'm calling this my year of firsts. I'm senior editor for Marie Claire South Africa.

Friday, May 22, 2009

Love it or hate it


A friend asked me on facebook whether I was enjoying the pregnancy - and I had to think about it for a moment...
It is undoubtedly the most surreal thing I've ever experienced... I thought my wedding day was that moment but it has quickly been replaced by this experience.

So I drew up a list of pros and cons:

I'M NOT ENJOYING
* weighing the heaviest I've ever been in my entire life
* not fitting into my clothes
* waking up four/five times a night to pee
* not being able to sleep on my tummy
* feeling guilty when I eat sushi
* being stared at when I have a glass of wine dammit!
* having to see the doctor every month
* having to deal with an already exhausted medical aid
* the bad dreams
* always feeling tired and listless
* feeling nauseous and vomiting if I've eaten something even slightly off

I LOVE
* not having to pull my stomach in
* it when she kicks - I feel like she's reaching out and trying to talk to me
* not having to buy tampons although having my period now seems like a distant memory
* spending time on my own 
* having clear skin
* having a legitimate excuse to leave a party if I'm bored
* meeting other new mothers
* being fussed over and being given special treatment
* discovering new products for baby and me
* buying clothes for her
* thinking about how we're going to decorate her nursery
* planning what she's going to wear
* looking forward to meeting her
* the way she's brought her daddy and I even closer together

The good outweighs the bad - I'm definitely enjoying it!

No comments:

Post a Comment