About Me

My photo
Last year I turned the big 3.0 and got married - I thought that was my milestone year. As it turns out, 2009 quickly overshadowed 2008 when my husband and I found out we were pregnant. I'm going to be experiencing everything for the first time as a woman and an expectant mother which is why I'm calling this my year of firsts. I'm senior editor for Marie Claire South Africa.

Monday, June 1, 2009

Cot search

Spending over R2 000 for a brand-new raw wooden cot is ridiculous! I'm on the hunt for a second-hand one under R1 000. So far, there's a listing on gumtree - though I'm not too sure about private sales. Always makes me nervous. A friend of mine suggested a place called The Firs, next to Sevens in Fourways and Hein and I drove around looking for the shop with no luck...
So I'm going to try the secondhand furniture stores in Randburg and perhaps Ontdekkers this weekend... maybe something will come up - because even Mistry's and Lotters Pine is over R2 000. Baby stuff is just as expensive as wedding stuff - these people take advantage because they know mommy wants best for baby. Nxa!

2 comments:

  1. hahaha, shame man. I've once asked a man off the street to make me a table. one of those people that sell those drawers you find absolutely anywhere, why not try that approach. You could probably get him to make you a cot for less than R500. Just a thought....ofcourse you run the risk of him making something you don't like...

    ReplyDelete
  2. And did he make it? Actually, I found someone on Gumtree, beleive it or not, who has an 11-month-old white wooden cot to sell for R750. We're going to go check it out on Saturday...

    ReplyDelete