About Me

My photo
Last year I turned the big 3.0 and got married - I thought that was my milestone year. As it turns out, 2009 quickly overshadowed 2008 when my husband and I found out we were pregnant. I'm going to be experiencing everything for the first time as a woman and an expectant mother which is why I'm calling this my year of firsts. I'm senior editor for Marie Claire South Africa.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

She's perfect!

Hein and I went to our first appointment with our midwife, Xoli. And she was late. Anyone who knows us know that is our bete noir! If you're going to be late - phone! So Hein had to leave to attend to an urgent application and I sat fuming... but then as soon as she appeared, my anger dissipated. I knew we were going to get on famously! And we did. She's from the Eastern Cape and has an open face and a lovely smile. she had been up all night delivering a baby and had overslept - rather be honest than lie. I like that.  

I was there for an hour chatting about all my concerns and fears - stuff that had always been dismissed by my previous gynaes with a 'we'll get to that when the time comes...'

Anyway, after feeling my tummy (first time any medic has touched my belly except with cold gel and a scanner, she told me baby girl has flipped completely. Her head is about to lock. Now this got me panicked! Is she coming sooner than August 15 I asked? Yes, most likely. I think you should be prepared for at least August 5. Yikes!
And then we heard baby's heartbeat - loud and clear, and she estimated that she's about 1kg! Yho! When she weighed me, she clapped her hands, saying you're lucky you haven't gained that much. Oh how I wanted to hug her while trying to digest that I have now put on 15kg since falling pregnant. But let me not dwell as there's absolutely nothing I can do about it now. Apparently some women put on 30-40kg at this stage. 

Talking about delivery date, she told me that I should put off booking my bed at Linkwood as Genesis Clinic was opening up this weekend and she's been facilitating there. You see, if you book your bed, pay R1300 and get there only to find out all the beds are full, they transfer you to Parklane - with no refund. Parklane only charges R350 to book a bed! What the hell? Why can't they give you your money back. Also, she says it's best to wait until just after midnight to check in to deliver - a few minutes before that, you get charged for a full day! What's wrong with these greedy people? 
So in three weeks we'll be seeing her at Genesis Clinic which will be down the road from us as soon as we move in the following weekend, and see if we like it. Booking a bed is cheaper - about R880 I think and they offer the same conveniences, and facilities...

Needless to say, I learnt more from one session with her than from all the OBGyn visits put together! I wish I had gone with her from the very beginning. Would have saved us loads of money and headache. 

No comments:

Post a Comment