About Me

My photo
Last year I turned the big 3.0 and got married - I thought that was my milestone year. As it turns out, 2009 quickly overshadowed 2008 when my husband and I found out we were pregnant. I'm going to be experiencing everything for the first time as a woman and an expectant mother which is why I'm calling this my year of firsts. I'm senior editor for Marie Claire South Africa.

Monday, July 27, 2009

Getting our home ready

What a hectic weekend it turned out to be!

* We got a new domestic - her name is Nomathemba. She's younger than I wanted (28) but she's South African, irons like a demon and takes initiative when cleaning. Even though she overdoes it on the Mr Min and Handy Andy, I don't have to tell her to clean around the bathroom taps for instance. She has a sweet little three-year-old son and a husband who are keen to move into the servants quarters at the back... we'll have to wait and see... if it all works out she the family can live there and hey presto I'll also have a full-time nanny.

* Saturday was spent buying some furniture (chest of drawers and a desk) in Yeoville and then we had a small shindig at our place - it was supposed to be a few friends noshing on cheese, crackers, wine and beers and then people saw fit to bring uninvited plus ones... and then of course it was the rugby at five... which all the boys HAD to watch at the local pub up the road and then all come back to eat. That's when I lost interest. All I wanted to do was sit in the afternoon sun for a while, chat a little with friends and then lock our doors just after sunset. By the time everyone left after I escaped to have a bath to soothe my aching muscles, I thought I might never be able to walk again. Luckily, we were in bed by 8.30pm. Hein had to do the 15km 702 Walk the Talk. Had it not been for that the night may well have dragged on.

* The handymen are finally out from under our feet - having put up shelves in the bathroom and cleaned a bit of the grouting (not sure if that's the terminology), painted the nursery and servants quarters, fixed the porch steps and painted it among other smaller things.

* So that gave me Sunday to put away baby things - and there's not enough space for everything. It looks a little qaba-ish but I've had to display baby powders, oils, bum creme.... on the white fold-out table. I hate having products displayed out in the open like that but it can't be helped. The room looks very cosy - just need to put up the rest of the pictures on the wall.

* One more room to tackle - the spare room - but that's Hein's baby - most of his law journals, files, books and clothes are in there which he needs to sort out. Me, I'm done!

Little one - you can come out now - we're ready for you.

2 comments:

  1. No, not yet, wait for the bath please, it only gets six months of usage and I don't want to be late on delivery!! :D

    Also, More house and decor photos please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay - I'll let her know to wait...

    As for the pics - I cant find my camera adaptor anywhere so I can't upload photos. Will make a concerted effort to try and find it this week!

    ReplyDelete