About Me

My photo
Last year I turned the big 3.0 and got married - I thought that was my milestone year. As it turns out, 2009 quickly overshadowed 2008 when my husband and I found out we were pregnant. I'm going to be experiencing everything for the first time as a woman and an expectant mother which is why I'm calling this my year of firsts. I'm senior editor for Marie Claire South Africa.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Maternity photographer



I'm starting to get a little apprehensive about my shoot on Saturday. And it's not only because I have to drive to Edenvale - and have no clue how to get there despite everyone saying, 'it's so eeeasy...' Nxa! Will you drive me there then. And then pick me up afterwards?

My apprehension comes from the nudity aspect. My friends and family know me. I don't reveal flesh unnecessarily - and especially not to strangers with cameras... let alone pee in front of my sisters in a shared cubicle. I never understood girls who did that? Peeing is so personal. And somethings should remain private. So stretchmarks, blemishes, lumps, bumps and all I have to be photographed with my protruding belly. It's funny, not even in my best body condition would I be photographed so revealingly...

But my photographer Ursula Tocik www.ursulatocikphotography.co.za whom it took me ages to unearth, thanks to an Andrea Carlyle www.andreacarlylephotography.co.za connection, has made me feel as much at ease as possible on the phone and via e-mail.
It took me a while because I'm not after those cutesy wutsey pics of booties on belly or colour treated efforts. I want something with a more reportage feel... something real (but photoshopped of course hehehehe)... less emphasis on me and more on belly. So I've attached a couple examples of work that captured me -- I hope Andrea and Jules Morgan www.julesmorgan.com don't mind.

4 comments:

  1. A msg from my photographer who has been following my blog but battling to post a comment. Any one else having that problem?

    "Hi Zodwa, love your blog and thank you for your kind words and of course the reference :). we can't wait to meet you, and we are going to have SO much fun on Saturday. You will have the most amazing pics of your bump, and looking at your profile and pictures of you - you are going to be absolutely stunning!!!! Can't Wait
    Kindest Regards Ursula"

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh that soo sweet... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. See how small the world is.. in the mornings, Andrea is also my colleague at work:-) She knows you as my friend who writes a block and to whose babyshower I went to:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! That is just insane! Tell her I'll see her tomorrow. How does she cope with three boys! Hey! When are you guys going to drop in and see our new place? Not sure if we're going to have something official before baby comes any more. Just too much to do still...

    ReplyDelete