About Me

My photo
Last year I turned the big 3.0 and got married - I thought that was my milestone year. As it turns out, 2009 quickly overshadowed 2008 when my husband and I found out we were pregnant. I'm going to be experiencing everything for the first time as a woman and an expectant mother which is why I'm calling this my year of firsts. I'm senior editor for Marie Claire South Africa.

Monday, August 24, 2009

PART TWO

Following Xoli to Linkwood hospital felt so surreal. Hein and I both understood that there was a sense of urgency but for some reason, I felt like everything was going to be okay. My main concern - was it going to hurt like hell when they broke my waters? My sister Nomzi had gone through the same thing and she said it didn't but still, everyone has a different pain threshold.
When we got to the hospital I was checked into the last room available - not the sunny room we had initially been shown. In this one, there was no bassinet, awful floral print curtains which didn't meet and two hospital regulation single beds. The bathroom was large but there was barely enough room to swing a cat in the room where the three of us were going to spend the next few hours. I silently cursed those caesarean moms
Hein went to go sort out the admin while I got comfortable. Before breaking my water, Xoli said, 'This is the last time you are going to be dry.' It's only afterwards I got her meaning. Ick! The breaking of the water felt like a light internal examination - much less painful than a pap smear. And thank goodness, there was no blood. Still my blood pressure was up so Xoli decided to induce me. We expected contractions to start quite soon afterwards but when nothing was happening...she put me on a drip and told me that contractions were going to start in about an hour or so. Hein put on a movie on my laptop but I can't even remember what movie he put on was. I felt like I was in an altered state as soon as the contractions started - they felt like a deep, aching period pain that would have me in its grip for moments at a time.
Hein and Xoli both took turns walking me around the quiet labour ward - was I the only one going through this? All I wanted to do was lie on my back and catch a few z's.

No comments:

Post a Comment