About Me

My photo
Last year I turned the big 3.0 and got married - I thought that was my milestone year. As it turns out, 2009 quickly overshadowed 2008 when my husband and I found out we were pregnant. I'm going to be experiencing everything for the first time as a woman and an expectant mother which is why I'm calling this my year of firsts. I'm senior editor for Marie Claire South Africa.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

The hospital bag






















There are so many lists on the internet, hospital information pamphlets and from baby stores all saying this is the ultimate list on what to pack in your hospital bag for you and baby.
Hein even laughed at me when I declared I would need two bags - one for me - and one for baby (there are so many cool options out there!). But after reviewing the list, agreed with me. Take that!

So I compiled a list of the things I would be including, most of which I've already purchased or have, save the the Zinc and Castor oil (not sure what that's for...). I also need to buy the nursing bra -- who knows how big my boobs are going to between now and then. I'm now a 36E! 36 I ask with tears in my eyes! I've never been a 36! All I need to do is gather all of it together and pack. This will need to be done before we move house though - you know how things disappear forever in boxes!

MOMMY
1 x night dress
1 x big T-shirt
1 x pair of socks (damn straight!)
1 x pair of slippers
flannel and towels
toiletry bag
hot water bottle
lip balm (never leave home without it)
water spray bottle (I have a calming spritzer Penny bought me)
massage stuff
music (sorted!)
hand mirror (didn't think of it)
nursing bra and breast pads
disposable briefs (where does one get those?)
maxi sanitary pads (!)
snacks, food and drink

BABY
2 x stretch vests and suits
1 x scratch mittens and booties (don't think booties are necessary is she's going to be wearing body suit
1 x baby blanket (bought the softest white one with yellow duckies)
1 x cream - zinc and castor oil or petroleum jelly (I think I'll just go for Elizabeth Anne's moisturising cream)
disposable nappies
cotton wool
1 x cardigan (already knitted by mom)
1 x hat
1 x car seat and carry cot or pram (just have to figure out how to fit the car seat in Hein's car)

Images

5 comments:

  1. most pharmacies have disposable briefs. Once you talk about bag packing you know the end is near.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EIsh! When you say pharmacy I know they're not going to come cheap! Yah neh! Tomorrow I see my midwife and then the following week my back-up gynae. I'm hoping one of them are going to say, 'Ingathi, this baby is not going to last any longer in your belly. There's just no more room...' And then I remember. Kanene, if the baby comes early then I'll have to go back to work in December. Either that or plead temporary insanity so I can stay off til January.
    I must be careful what I wish for! Hope you're good sisi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Music" is the only one thing that I have done, shame. But this list is definitely inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was just wondering if there are any classes that prepares one for nappy changing. I think out of everything that's the one thing I dread. Like, when you wipe off the poo...erm...its smudged all over the place...how do you konw you got it all out...especially because you are probably going to be too shaky, and too scared to wipe thoroughly...too scared you might hurt baby...baby is super tender...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nkenge - making the soundtrack is the best part! I keep on adding and swapping and deleting... must burnt he CD to disc already!

    Heartwarmer - I was also wondering but have read a few books which encourage using cotton wool and warm water - especially for that sticky poo. But baby should never be in a dirty nappy long enough for you to have to apply such hectic pressure! And then later, you start using non-perfumed baby wet wipes. I've already stocked up on those. Was buying a pack a month since month 4.

    ReplyDelete