About Me

My photo
Last year I turned the big 3.0 and got married - I thought that was my milestone year. As it turns out, 2009 quickly overshadowed 2008 when my husband and I found out we were pregnant. I'm going to be experiencing everything for the first time as a woman and an expectant mother which is why I'm calling this my year of firsts. I'm senior editor for Marie Claire South Africa.

Friday, July 10, 2009

Nesting

I didn't want to get out of bed this morning. Everything was swollen - from my nose, to my cheeks, right down to my feet. I think it's because I slept with the heater on - a 400w wall heater that really does not have much effect... But what's a girl to do - freeze to death? And boy is our house cold! And Hein was out til late so I had to make a plan. And now I'm paying for it.

Wow! Being pregnant is humbling. I've never considered myself vain. But I guess if you've never had problem skin or crooked teeth or an overbite... you kind of take your looks for granted. It's one thing if you've let yourself go and have slowly witnessed the downward spiral without any alarm bells going off... but it's another if you've had nothing to do with it and are rendered hostage to your body. Were it not for that fact, I would be horribly depressed. For now, I stay mildly upset and am keeping to myself. I'm focusing on house and home or as they say nesting. I hate that word and the fact that there's this 'scientific' explanation for pregnant women who are about to give birth who suddenly want to make their house and nursery look nice and ready for baby. Puhleeze! It's normal -- like what you would do if your inlaws or parents or friends were coming to stay for a spell... it's not some chemical trigger that goes off when you get close to delivering... nxa!

Image: I used to love that book! I remember Mrs Davies at Maris Stella reading it out to us often at aftercare. And all this time I thought it was a Dr Seuss book!

No comments:

Post a Comment