About Me

My photo
Last year I turned the big 3.0 and got married - I thought that was my milestone year. As it turns out, 2009 quickly overshadowed 2008 when my husband and I found out we were pregnant. I'm going to be experiencing everything for the first time as a woman and an expectant mother which is why I'm calling this my year of firsts. I'm senior editor for Marie Claire South Africa.

Monday, August 24, 2009

THE END AND THE BEGINNING


As Xoli pulled Maya out of me, her umbilical cord still attached, she paced her on my chest. Hein was spouting tears, taking photos and kissing me and I was shaking with emotion. This long pink baby had been living inside of me? How? Yes she looked like Benjamin Button but I loved her the moment I laid eyes on her.

The entire labour had been seven hours long. And Maya was born just before 7 in the morning. After a visit from uncle Howard and auntie Zan, the three of us checked out of the hospital four hours later. The wonder of normal delivery! Still, next time, I'm seriously considering caesarean birth. What an excruciatingly painful miracle!

4 comments:

  1. snifles and more sobs, it sounds so beautiful and as u said a" painful miracle", u did well Zods..Maya is so lovely..feeling broody now..i guess will have to put in more practise with your angel 4 now..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Frank!
    Will do Sarah!
    Haha Milly! It'll probably change in a few...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Zodwa. What an amazing story. It makes me so nostalgic for the two births I have experienced. All so different but all equally miraculous. I've just sneaked into my boys' rooms to watch them sleeping - still can't believe I'm a mom, almost five years after number one arrived. Enjoy every moment Zods, the best thing you'll ever do. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacquie that's he one thing I'm still trying to digest - that I'm Maya's mom; that she's my daughter.
    The night before last she had a bit of a choking fit. And I thought was losing my mind. When I finally managed to calm her down I burst into tears that wouldn't stop. The magnitude of bringing up a life is indescribable. What I would do without her I just don't know.

    ReplyDelete