About Me

My photo
Last year I turned the big 3.0 and got married - I thought that was my milestone year. As it turns out, 2009 quickly overshadowed 2008 when my husband and I found out we were pregnant. I'm going to be experiencing everything for the first time as a woman and an expectant mother which is why I'm calling this my year of firsts. I'm senior editor for Marie Claire South Africa.

Friday, February 27, 2009

I forgot I could knit

My mom gave me such a super idea! To start knitting! I completely forgot I could. When I was younger, I used to be so domesticated - baking, cooking, knitting , crocheting... what happened?
Anyway, I found this cute little jersey pattern at Rosebank's Sew Easy (they've only recently started stocking wool), bought beautiful light green Snuggly Buggly (yes, that's the name) wool and have already knitted about 30 rows. It doesn't look half bad given it's been about 20 years since I last picked up needles of any description. But maybe I should have started with a blanket or beanie because I've forgotten how to cast off. I wonder if they have any demos on YouTube?
You should have seen Hein's face when he came home from work only to find me sitting on the couch knitting rather than reading. His first words: 'You're such a mother!' Hope that was a compliment...

2 comments:

  1. what a cute little jersey but, um, that collar and those wee little pockets look quite involved.

    i found this article for u entitled 'how to cast off': http://www.ehow.com/how_4764_cast-knitting.html

    when ur knitting skills get impressive, i'd be more than happy to allow u to make me a dress. happy knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No... this is not the jersey I'm making! And those pockets! Puhleeze! I only have knitting 101. As for the progress of the jersey - it's looking very fiddled with. The wool I'm using - Snuggly bubbly - may not have been the best choice after a 20-year hiatus!

    ReplyDelete